Not a Textbook StoryAbout us
coffeeRoots Cantata is an award-winning, vertically integrated hot beverages group carrying the world’s broadest range of premium coffee and tea products. The group develops value-added private label assortments for partners in over 30 countries with inhouse manufacturing. The group is also active in retail with the world’s largest and most exclusive assortment in premium coffee and tea, covering 350 experience stores in six countries.
Within coffeeRoots Cantata, the coffee roasting expertise of the group goes back to a modest family business established in 1907 in Antwerp, Belgium. For more than a century, the focus has been on roasting artisanal coffees. This traditional method ensures that the coffee beans fully develop their complex aromatic profile.
Today, coffeeRoots is the R&D and manufacturing heart of the coffeeRoots Cantata group. The coffee is still being roasted according to traditional methods and recipes, even though the company also expanded into new product lines beyond coffee, including teas, nutritional products, hot chocolates and other beverages.
Over the past 15 years, headed by second-generation entrepreneur Chantal Hoorens and chairman Camille Willems, the company has rapidly developed from a local family business into an international innovation hub for hot beverages. A cornerstone of this rapid expansion has been a mix of entrepreneurial courage, continuous innovation and a desire to ‘wow‘ the end consumer, a mindset that drives the entire group today.
Watch VideocoffeeRoots Cantata
in 2 minutes
Ecological FootprintA word on sustainablity
As a group, we have a social responsibility and an undisputable impact on the environment. Sustainability has become an integrated part of our philosophy. Our desire to generate a positive impact on planet and society is one of the group’s eight core values.
Much has been achieved already across our value chain. Our farmers, for instance, charge us premiums in return for our stringent quality demands. The price premiums we pay allow farmers to further develop their harvesting methods. These increase crop yields and makes growing coffee more attractive, avoiding deforestation.
At a manufacturing and retail level, more than 70 percent of our R&D budget is focused on increasing the sustainability of our operations. Examples are our conscious choice for carbon-neutral roasting and an increased use of compostable packaging solutions.
For the period 2021-2023, coffeeRoots Cantata is investing in a national program to become one of the few UNITAR certified Belgian manufacturing companies by aligning its strategy with the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
- Our raw materials pass a triple quality check: in the country of origin, at our trade partner in the Port of Antwerp, and upon arrival at the coffeeRoots Cantata plant. Each coffee is verified for visual defects and respective humidity levels.
- During our slow roasting process, the skilled roaster verifies that roast colours are followed consistently in every production run. He steers the roasting curve manually to fully develop the coffee’s complex aromatic profile.
- Roasting is kept entirely inhouse to maximize both freshness and quality control.
- We focus on packaging materials with a strong oxygen and light barrier. They are gas flushed for maximum freshness.
- At the heart of our operations is the Quality Lab. Here, we test shelf lives and engage in random tracing exercises on all steps of the production process. Products are tested extensively for their functionality and compatibility on different machine types.
- All our quality procedures adhere to the strictest manufacturing standards, granting us the highest level of IFS standards. In addition, our packing lines are USFDA certified and approved for the processing of both organic and allergen (milk) products.
Take a Look behind the ScenesProduction process
We love meeting talented peopleJoin our team!
Join our taste creators at one of the world’s fastest growing hot beverage groups!